I wanted to share this article I found by John R.W. Stott titled "Ten Principles of Christian Giving." It focuses on what the Apostle Paul had to say about giving in 2 Corinthians 8 and 9 and lists the following 10 principles:
1. Christian giving is an expression of the grace of God (8:1-6).
2. Christian giving can be a charisma, that is a gift of the Spirit (8:7).
3. Christian giving is inspired by the cross of Christ (8:8, 9).
4. Christian giving is proportionate giving (8:10-12).
5. Christian giving contributes to equality (8:13-15).
6. Christian giving must be carefully supervised (8:16-24).
7. Christian giving can be stimulated by a little friendly competition (9:1-5).
8. Christian giving resembles a harvest (9:6-11a).
9. Christian giving has symbolic significance.
10. Christian giving promotes thanksgiving to God (9:11b-15).
Just an overall great article from a biblical scholar. Good reading if you're interested in what the Bible says about giving.
For more on the Bible and Money, see these posts from Free Money Finance:
- Five Biblical Principles about Borrowing and Debt
- The Proper Perspective
- The 21st Century Tithe
- Questions about Tithing
- Biblical Saving
- Biblical Investing
- Stewardship Budgeting
- The Tithe is for Today
- Giving Away Part of Your Life
- The Gift is Acceptable According to What One Has
- Be Faithful with a Little if You Want More
- Tithe versus Offerings, What's the Right View?
- The Poor in Proverbs