I've written a lot about debt, getting out of debt, credit card debt and the like over the past year at Free Money Finance, yet somehow I keep finding more pieces to highlight on the subject. This one from Yahoo offers 11 tips on how to get out of debt. Their thoughts:
1. Use cash.
2. Get debit cards.
3. Leave your cards at home.
4. Don't close the accounts.
5. Do some comparison shopping.
6. Consider a balance transfer.
7. Ask your current company to lower its rates.
8. Figure out what you really owe.
9. Focus on the highest-rate card first.
10. Automate your current minimums.
11. Go in order.
My thoughts on these:
1. Cash is not only a great way to keep from putting extra amounts on your credit cards, but it also will save you money.
2. Debit cards are just like cash as they take money from your account immediately. They're a decent option.
3. It's very difficult to charge on a card that's not with you. ;-)
5. Always shop around for everything -- car insurance, places to buy an appliance, and, yes, even for credit card rates.
6. Could be the result of what you find from your research in #5.
7. What you find in #5 could help you negotiate with your current company and get them to lower your rates without a change.
8-11. Here are my suggested steps for getting out of credit card debt.