Last year at this time I hosted March Madness Free Money Finance Style where I pitted 64 of my best articles against each other. They squared off in a bracket competition similar to the NCAA basketball tournament where one article was finally crowned the best of all. This year, I'm going to shake things up a bit -- focusing on posts written by OTHER personal finance blogs -- as well as giving away prizes to boot. Here's how it will work:
- I'll create my own bracket system that will hold 64 posts.
- I'll fill it with the best 64 posts (as selected by me) that personal finance bloggers send me. If you have posts you want to include (let's limit it to four per blog) you can email the following to me: 1. The name of the post you're submitting, 2. the URL of the post you're submitting, 3. the trackback URL of the post you're submitting (if you allow trackbacks), and 4. two to five sentences on what makes this post so great (I'll be using this wording in the competition, though I reserve the right to edit it, so really "sell" your posts.) I need to receive all this by March 1. If I don't receive 64 submissions, I'll fill in the brackets with my own posts.
- I'll place the 64 posts randomly in the brackets.
- The posts will "play" each other with the winner advancing and the loser being bumped. They'll "play" in this manner: 1) I'll post the competing posts, listing who's playing who, 2) readers can leave comments on which they like better, 3) I'll ultimately decide a winner between the two taking the comments into account, and 4) the winner will advance in the bracket to "play" again. Ultimately, there will be only one post left -- the "champion" for this season. Criteria for great articles is as follows: 1) practicality of the post 2) how interesting/provocative/unique it is, 3) the "personal-ness" of it and 4) its impact on net worth.
- The winner will receive a packet of goodies (t-shirts and the like -- not food) courtesy of Moose Tracks ice cream.
As readers, every time you leave a comment in this competition, you have a chance to win too. I have five copies of the book The Net Worth Workout: A Powerful Program for a Lifetime of Financial Fitness (see my rating for details) that I'll be giving away to the five best commenters during this series -- the people who put the most time and effort into their comments in helping to select the winners. Yes, bloggers who enter their posts can comment/win as well.
I will give away the five books noted above, but if there are more than five great commenters, I may give additional prizes as well. I have a good amount of prize material I can give away if people get really involved.
Here's how the giveaway works:
To be eligible to win a book, just leave a comment on any of the March Madness posts this year. (Yes, you can leave multiple comments per post, but be sure they are good -- quantity without quality will not win.) At the end of the competition, I'll review all the comments and select the winners.
A few rules for these giveaways:
1. You can not win more than one copy of the book.
2. I will be the complete and final judge.
3. U.S. mailing addresses only. (I'm on a budget here, after all.)
4. Legal disclaimer: I can not guarantee safe delivery of the items. I will mail them to you free of charge via U.S. Mail, but if for any reason they do not reach you, arrive torn or are damaged in any way I can't be held responsible. I've mailed lots of giveaways and never had a problem, but you just never know (especially with the mail.)
5. If you do not contact me within a week of winning, I reserve the right to give your copy away to another winner. Note: I won't track down the winner -- it's your responsibility to come back and see if you won.