Here's an email a reader recently sent me:
My parents will be visiting me in Chicago this March. They are coming from South Asia and I would like to take care of their flight fares. I am trying to use points+fare for the trip.
I currently have:
- Chase Freedom
- Amex Blue cash
- Amex Blue cas preferred
- Amex Fidelity
I used to have Chase Sapphire preferred until 2 months ago. But I did a product change on it to get another Chase freedom. When I had CSP, I transferred 60k UR points to Southwest, since I envisioned they are good for domestic travel (Disneyworld maybe) in US for 4 people, if I plan for 2014. I currently have 66k UR chase points in Chase Freedom.
Now in 2014, I would like my parents to visit us. They will come from Asia. This can happen in March or April 2014. Combined airfare for 2 people will be around $2500! I have 66k UR points but I cannot transfer them as I don't have CSP anymore.
But, I have an option to revert back to CSP by Dec 15th and pay the $95 annual fee. Do you think that's a good option right now? There won't be any bonus.
Or should I apply for Amex SPG, Citi AA and Ink bold on a single day? My credit score is just around 750 right now.
1. Pay for parent's tickets roundtrip economy or at least business class one-way from Asia (optional). Strategizing how to do that. Travel dates not fixed, maybe March/earl April.
2. Transferred 60k points in SW airlines for a possible trip to Disneyworld.
3. Switched from Sapphire Preferred to Chase Freedom 2 months ago. Should I go back to CSP and pay $95?
4. Currently have 66k in UR points. How best I can use them for travel and hotels?
5. Any other suggestions you have for applying to new credit cards for upcoming travel?
What's your advice for him?