For the past two years, we've taken our "big" vacation each January. We're trying to take fun and exciting trips with our kids while they are still home, before college kicks in and they scatter to one place or another.
For reference, we took a 10-day Caribbean cruise in 2012 and a 12-day one in 2013 (which was preceded by two days in New York City). In January 2014 we did not take a big trip for several reasons:
- We were just getting settled in our new home and didn't really have the time.
- The winters in Oklahoma seem so nice/warm compared to those in Michigan, why did we need to leave? It was great here!
That said, we're already getting used to the warmth and have even caught ourselves complaining it's "too cold" when it gets down to 50. :)
So with that said, we're thinking of taking a vacation next January and the top candidate so far is...Hawaii!
My parents love Hawaii (they may go with us), I have never been, and now just seems like the right time to go. But I have a gazillion questions! This is where I thought you all might help.
Here are a few questions I have about Hawaii:
- What island(s) should we visit? (I'm thinking two islands at the most)
- What attractions are must-sees?
- Where should we stay? (I'm thinking of renting a house, but maybe there's a better option. I do have almost 200,000 Hilton points I could use.)
- When should we go? (Is January a good time to be there?)
- Is there anything I should really think about but I may have missed?
I do have a Hawaii travel guide, but I want to hear from those of you who have been there -- the real people with real experiences.
Any advice on a trip to Hawaii?