The Motley Fool lists four reasons not to retire early as follows:
1. You'll have to wait longer for (full) benefits.
2. You're on your own for health insurance.
3. It could harm your health.
4. You'll need to save more.
Like many mainstream articles, this one is a post in search of some relevance.
Are they serious? The reasons are W-E-A-K in my opinion.
My take on them:
- I don't need ANY money from Social Security to retire. If I get a penny that would be a bonus!
- Ok, so I'm going to be chained to my employer simply because I need health insurance?
- Yes, it "could" harm your health. And aliens "could" invade tomorrow. Seriously, my health has improved dramatically since retiring. I now have much more time to work out, eat healthy, sleep well, etc.
- I did save more. That's why I can retire on the income from my assets.
Again, was there an actual point here? It doesn't seem like there was to me.
But maybe I missed something. What's your take on their four reasons?