Free Ebook.


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

« The Best of Money Carnival | Main | Retirement Tips from an Early Retiree »

May 23, 2011

Comments

Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

I don't have any experience with a situation like this, but if I were presented with a similar dilemma I would try talking to the new company regarding the potential impacts of the legislation once they offered me the position. More specifically, I'd ask them how they might respond to a strict interpretation of the law that did require a major change in business model. While they may try to paint a rosy picture, and downplay any potential trouble, their answer may give you a lot of information about the company and its management. Good luck.

I agree that the reader should ask the dream job company about the impact of the legislation. I think it demonstrates their interest in the company and savvy about current events affecting their industry.

I would not take the dream job if I didn't have a significant emergency fund. Regardless of what the company says, there is a significant chance of getting laid off here so it would be best to be prepared.

Congrats on getting a dream job offer!

The Obama admin has yet to show any restraint when implementing new regulations. If the worst case is bad, I would bet on a scenario like that happening. Did you ask why the position is available? Did the last person leave because of the potential regulation impacts? Is the company experiencing a high turnover? Overall, I would not switch jobs.

As already mentioned I would talk to the prospective employer about the impacts and make sure I have a solid E-fund.

I would, however, take the new job.

The odds of solid reform coming out of Congress is slim. Odds are that a severely watered down version will pass. Plus, this type of issue is always looming over the financial services sector.

Take the dream job and save all of the increase. Will look great on the resume with additional experience.

I would take the dream job. Hiring is expensive. The new company wouldn't make an offer at all if there was a high risk of having to lay you off.

I also disagree with mdb: the Obama administration, like every one before it, is quite cozy with regulated businesses. Health insurers are getting a great deal out of PPACA, for instance. Even in the worst case where financial regulation does snuff out your new industry, you'll have an ironclad explanation for the layoff as you start interviewing again.

Can't remember where, but I once read that when faced with a decision, the more difficult option is usually the best one. Surprising how often that turns out to be true.

The answer depends on how much risk can the questioner take on. Single? married? kids? mortgage?

If I were young and totally unencumbered, I'd jump on the job and take the chance. I'd also take 90% of the extra pay and put it into an emergency fund.

If I had obligations, I'd ask all of the questions previously mentioned. Then I'd ask if they would hold the job for me until the legislative effect is more clear; perhaps it's only two months or so. If they won't/can't hold it open, I'd ask them to call me in the future if anything else opens up. And I'd keep looking for a better job.

Take the job - no risk, no reward. You don't want to stay in a stagnant job being underpaid with no chance for growth despite this economy. When an opportunity arises (aka "dream offer")you have to grab it or you will replace your drive and edge with complacency, and you will probably be even more unhappy 3-6 months down the road. People who want to further their careers usually tend to jump around in order to move up because its quicker than staying at one company. And while you need to be cognizant of the future hazards of this new company, you cant spend your life worrying about what you have no control of. Besides, you said just your own company was stagnant and only stable "for the most part." Unless you are in upper management or HR, you really have no idea about what your current employer is planning to do.

Would it still be a dream job if they lost a large amount of their revenue? If the answer is yes then join now. If the answer is no then see below:

Any way you can accept the job and start in July, pending what comes out of the legislation? You can quit only in the last minute as you see this play out.

-Mike

One thing to also make sure you do is to leave on a good note with your current employer, should you decide to take the new opportunity. If worst-case-scenario happened with the new company and you suddenly found yourself looking, you might get to go back there, and maybe even at a better salary (once they realize how much they miss you). We've had a couple of people at my office leave, only to return a couple of years later, and in each case it's because they proved their value til the end, they maintained good relationships, and stayed professional until the end.

Good luck!

The comments to this entry are closed.

Start a Blog


Disclaimer


  • Any information shared on Free Money Finance does not constitute financial advice. The Website is intended to provide general information only and does not attempt to give you advice that relates to your specific circumstances. You are advised to discuss your specific requirements with an independent financial adviser. Per FTC guidelines, this website may be compensated by companies mentioned through advertising, affiliate programs or otherwise. All posts are © 2005-2012, Free Money Finance.

Stats