Free Ebook.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

« Help a Reader: What to Tithe | Main | The Best of Money Carnival »

August 01, 2011


Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

Your children reach the age of 18.

I don't have a will. Don't have children, or a spouse.

Not sure how seriously I should take this as a 'problem'.

In my experience, making a will is a set and forget exercise. It should be something you put in your diary to review it every couple of years or so. this may save your estate from a lot of pain and expense later on.

I do not have a will. I have little enough estate that it would not go through probate. In MO my kids would, by law, divide equally whatever I have. This also happened when my husband died.

The only quirk I had was the bank lock box. It cost me $65 to get into it because of a legal paper I needed. My husband had the lock box from his mother's estate and had his older brother's name on it with him. His older brother had died 6 months before my husband and he forgot to change it. Was not a problem as he had been dying of cancer and I could do that work myself.

My 503b and life insurance are set up as 50% each for son & daughter. Seems I'm set unless I win the lottery and that is unlikely as I usually forget to buy a ticket. The same thing with inheriting a fortune.

So if one is single, with no kids, and just needs a basic will to ensure their estate goes to parents/siblings, is there an inexpensive way to set one up? The requirements likely vary state-by-state, but can anyone recommend general resources? (I personally am interested in Washington state requirements.)

The comments to this entry are closed.

Start a Blog


  • Any information shared on Free Money Finance does not constitute financial advice. The Website is intended to provide general information only and does not attempt to give you advice that relates to your specific circumstances. You are advised to discuss your specific requirements with an independent financial adviser. Per FTC guidelines, this website may be compensated by companies mentioned through advertising, affiliate programs or otherwise. All posts are © 2005-2012, Free Money Finance.